VALLEY OF BUTTERFLIES: The Valley of Butterflies is found in the western side of Rhodes Island, approximately 58 km from Gennadi city.It is a natural reserve, unique of its kind. As its name indicates, this area is a lush green valley that gets overwhelmed in spring and autumn with butterflies of the Panaxia genus, species Quadripunctaria Poda.
During the raining seasons, butterflies stay in the caterpillars, in various areas around the Mediterranean Sea. However, in spring, when they get out of their caterpillar and become a full butterfly, they fly to areas of high humidity in order to reproduce. That is why they come to this valley, which is crossed by river Pelekanos and many waterfalls are scattered all along it.Every year, from May to September, thousands of visitors come to watch this lovely species and walk through narrow paths.The coolness of this place, the flowing waters and the shade of the trees make it ideal to rest, especially during the hot summer days. Small, wooden bridges cross the river and an uphill path leads to the Monastery of Panagia Kalopetra. If you get tired, you can have a refreshment drink or lunch in the picturesque taverns with a view to the waterfalls and enjoy the natural beauty!
ACROPOLIS OF LINDOS: The ancient town of Lindos is 23 km from Gennadi Village and was founded by the Dorians in the 10th century B.C. In the 8th century, it already was a major trading center, due to its geographical position between Greece and the Middle East.
However, it started to decline when the city of Rhodes was founded, in the 5th century. The archaeological remains found inside and around the Acropolis of Lindos reveal the wealth of this ancient town.Part of its worth-visiting monuments is a Doric 4th-century temple devoted to Athena Lindia, where people used to worship their patron goddess with offerings and sacrifices. Two towers of the castle are well-preserved till today. Outside the castle, on the southwest side of the will, there used to be an ancient theatre. Today the only remains of it are some rows of seats, part of the auditorium.
It is believed that the theatre could host 1,800 spectators.The excavations in the archaeological site of Lindos started in the early 20th century.The Italians, who occupied Rhodes island from 1912-1945, tried to restore the ancient findings but they actually damaged part of them.The site today belongs to the Greek Ministry of Culture and much work is being done, by both Greek and foreign archaeologists, to protect this monument.
PALACE OF GRAND MASTER: The Palace of Grand Masters is located at the end of the Street of the Knights in the Old Town of Rhodes.Originally built on the foundations of the Temple of Sun God (Helios), this palace was the residence of the governor and administrative centre in the medieval times.Constructed in the 14th century by the Knights of Saint John, it distinguishes for the spherical towers and the arched gate.
The palace was enormous in size. It had 158 rooms, although today only 24 are open to visitors.The rooms have antique furniture of the 16th and the 17th century, exquisite multi-coloured marbles, sculptures, carpets and fine Oriental vases. In addition, the interior yard is adorned with many statues of the Greek and Roman period. Unfortunately, this magnificent building was largely destroyed in 1856 by explosives, hidden in the basement of the church of Saint John.At the beginning of the 20th century, the palace was restored by the Italians who occupied the Dodecanese islands that time. In the years that followed, it served as a holiday residence for the King of Italy Victor Emmanuel III and for Benito Mussolini. Today, it belongs to the Greek State and hosts an interesting museum inside. Also various exhibitions and performances frequently take place in the palace rooms.
PANAGIA TSAMPIKA: The Monastery of Panagia Tsambika is located about 40 km from Gennadi Village. The old monastery of Tsambika is built on top of a hill with gorgeous view to the sea and the surrounding area, while the new monastery, which works today, is found on the road that connects Archangelos to Rhodes Town. It is not known when the old monastery was founded, but we know that it was reconstructed in 1770 by a monk. This monastery was built according to the Dodecanesian architecture with hollow roof tiles. The floor of the temple and the yard are covered with pebbles and shells. Some icons date from the 19th century, while the iconostasis is even older. The name of the monastery comes from the word tsamba, which means spark in the local dialect. In fact, tradition says that a local shepherd found an icon of Virgin Mary on top of the cliff, where the old monastery was later built, following a vigil light. The icon of Panagia Tsambika is considered miracle-working, particularly for the childless women, which is why many women offer to the icon of Panagia child dolls. This monastery is considered a protector of the island and in fact many locals are named Tsambikos for men and Tsambika for women.
PRASONISSI: Prasonisi is the Greek word for “green island”. It is located about 40 km from Gennadi Village.During the winter time, and when water levels are high enough, Prasonisi becomes an island. The southernmost tip of Prasonisi contains the Prasonisi Lighthouse. Prasonisi is noted to be a good place for windsurfingand kitesurfing due to predictable and reliable winds with certain qualities( constant direction and during particular times of the day).
From one side of the cape there is the Aegean Sea with good waves and views for advanced surfers. From the other side, there is the Mediterranean Sea with flat water which is better suited for beginners. Two sandy coves ending in an island that you can reach on foot or by swimming, depending on the weather and the level of the water. This is a paradise for surfers, especially in July and August. There are surfboards and wetsuits for hire. It is well worth a visit even if you are not a surfer yourself, just to enjoy the magnificent landscape and admire the skill of the surfers.